Friday, March 27, 2020

MY PROCESS

Because we are all staying home and sheltering in place, I thought I would share a little bit of my process. My posts are usually far a few between because beadwork takes along time, so I thought I would talk about how I get to where I'm going. First it's the idea, which is all over the place for awhile. When my mind settles down, I usually refine the concept as I'm falling asleep at night. I think I mentioned awhile back, that I was thinking of doing a rabbit. It's been a big rabbit year, we go in cycles, but I didn't want to do another winter scene. I've been looking at a card, a picture and a vintage bag. These are informing my color scheme this time around.
The design faze is using lots of books, I'm particle to 1970's kids books like an old favorite "The Rainbow Book of Nature". Also, I use my folders full of past ideas and of course, the net. Then draw some stuff, play around with it and try to refine the concept. I use tracing paper because it's thin. Then color your piece, using markers and colored pencils. When that is done, I glue it to the backing, which for me is two thicknesses of wool felt.  Then, because it's thin, you can bead right over the paper. It's great because you've colored the paper the same color as the beads, so if there is a small bit showing through, it's the same color. This enables you to not crowd the beads, which can make your beadwork look bunchy and lumpy.
So that's how I get started. Please feel free to share your color schemes and ideas, I'm interested in how you do what you do!
I think you can see where I'm going with this.

Color inspiration

7 comments:

  1. I had no idea what your process was. Thanks for sharing here. I have always admired your talent so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Insight into another artists process is always fascinating and always appreciated. Mine is pretty much the same though i my start incorporating your tracing paper method into my own for larger projects, if I ever get around to one! i have kept t things that are 3'x2'or smaller because i have a very short attention span ;) your work is so beautiful Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because I can't draw very well!! HA I print onto a Wash-Away Applique sheet. The Wash-away sheet has a fusible on the back so I can just fuse this onto a piece of pellon or batting and I'm good to start beading!!! Thanks for showing us your process too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, my primary art is photography and the use of photoshop... so that's how I make my base image which I print/copy onto tracing paper then bead.... sometimes 15 are just too big and I have to leave out detail. Sometime ago you were talking about an X stitch/method- I think that might help me at times to do the detail. Are you willing to share that? or give resources to learn more about that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, my primary art is photography and the use of photoshop... so that's how I make my base image which I print/copy onto tracing paper then bead.... sometimes 15 are just too big and I have to leave out detail. Sometime ago you were talking about an X stitch/method- I think that might help me at times to do the detail. Are you willing to share that? or give resources to learn more about that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your process- hope to learn more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. INSTEAD OF GETTING A LOAN,, I GOT SOMETHING NEW
    Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!

    See how it works

    Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
    Make up you mind before applying, straight deal...

    Order for a blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact us
    via email address::{Universalcardshackers@gmail.com}

    We have specially programmed ATM cards that can be use to hack ATM
    machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at
    stores and POS. We sell this cards to all our customers and interested
    buyers worldwide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 on ATM
    and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card
    you order for:: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack
    services, we are here for you anytime any day.

    Here is our price lists for the ATM CARDS:

    Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $850 USD
    Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $2,200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
    Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD

    make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!!

    The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via
    email address:::::: {Universalcardshackers@gmail.com}
    Whatsapp:::::+31687835881
    ®

    ReplyDelete