Wednesday, January 11, 2012

ONE DOWN, FIVE TO GO

Here's the finish piece. One down and five to go! This is because I'm doing three pieces that are looking east (up river) and three pieces looking west (towards the mouth of the river). The east looking sides will be the morning high tide and the west looking sides will be the evening high tide. These pieces will be free standing two sided bags but will be viewed all together. I'm very excited to be making an installation piece and feel like it's going to come together quite well.  The one thing I wanted to say about this piece is about the net. I'm a Nymo bead thread user from way back, but with the net I used the Fireline. Really good stuff, you can get a sculptural quality with it. Unfortunately it's to expensive to use all the time.
I wanted to put a little whimsy in each piece so in this one I did the little seagull fisherman. It feels good to have one under my belt, I'll start beading a new one tomorrow...

5 comments:

  1. fantastic! I have never tried Fireline before, may have to get some and see how it behaves.

    Will it be a bag?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes always a bag, part of a three bag installation piece. I don't have the design yet but it will be some sort of flat bottom tote so it can stand up. p.s.I think you will like Fireline for certain things.

      Delete
  2. Awesome as always Kate. Jack and I looked at the first picture you posted, enlarged it, and even got out the magnifying glass to look at the fisherman. We were still uncertain, but you layed our questions to rest...yes, the fisherman is a seagull. I love your sense of whimsy. Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just amazing!!! Your work is always so wonderful. I love the different stitching directions you did to get the perfect effect!!

    ReplyDelete